The Allure of EVE
Welcome to the second installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s EVE Blog Banter comes to us from Brinelan over at The Shard. He asks: What drew us into EVE, what keeps us playing the game and what brought us back if we’ve ever left?
Why on earth would anyone want to play EVE? It’s been described as a game so boring that only tax accountants can find any appeal in it. It’s been called a job, one you pay for doing. Horrible, horrible things. And that’s not even discussing all the horrible nerfs and whatnot the poor playerbase is subjected to on a regular basis. It’s a wonder the universe of EVE is not an empty wasteland with tumbleweed slowly drifting by in, uuh, zero-g.
I’m not sure what drew me to EVE in the first place. I think it was the internet spaceships. For a long time, and I mean months, maybe even years, before I started playing EVE I had been reading the dev blogs, always checking in from time to time. I even read the forums, trying to make sense of what people were talking about. The reason for the surveying without participating was simple: I didn’t have the computer to handle anything gamey.
Once the hardware problem was solved I found myself in a position where I was without an internet connection at my place of residence. The irony of this was not lost on me. So the first time I logged into EVE I was sitting in one of the university cafeterias, happily exploiting the WLAN for my wicked personal gain. I had my headset on and generally tried to ignore people around me, trying to feel cyberpunky and whatnot.
Anyway, to say it was love at first sight is an exaggaration. My first character soon found itself biomassed and I tried again. My second character got so far as to join a player corporation. But that was it. Another mmo had by then gotten my attention, and since my RL friends were playing that, I drifted out of EVE again.
The other MMO lost its appeal after some time, and I found myself pining for something else. And back to EVE I went. My second character got biomassed and I entered EVE in my current incarnation.
I percieve a depth in the game that may or may not be there for everyone else. The possibility to shape the political boundaries in nullsec, the consequences to your actions which (barring the use of throwaway alts) has repercussions for you and your character, even if it’s just a tarnished reputation. And when something is added to the game, it’s not merely a question of more of the same, rather it’s adding more depth, more options and possibilities.
Of course I’ve had my share of EVE burnouts. While I do have an attention span qualifying me as an adult, sometimes it’s just not working for me. That is when I take a break from EVE, and we part ways, but I still keep in touch, checking on the blogs and the forum and the news and whatnot, knowing that I’ll come back one day.
- CrazyKinux’s Musing: EVE Blog Banter #2: Space, the Final Frontier…
- Ombeve: OOC Blog Banter 2
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility: Internet Spaceships is Serious Business
- Semper EVE: The Allure of EVE
- A Merry Life and a Short One: EVE Blog Banter #2 – This Is My Time
- Life in Low Sec: Blog Banter #2: EVE’s Enduring Allure
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah: Eve Blog Banter – What Drew Me Into Eve?
- Roc’s Rambling: Blog Banter #2: Staying Power
- Sahirs Journey: Why am I sitting in an internet spaceship?
- Diving into PsychDiver’s Psyche: EVE Blog Banter #2: All I Ever Wanted To Be Was A Capsuleer
- Achernar: Just gathering intel
- Sweet Little Bad Girl: Blog Banter #2
- The Ralpha Dogs: The Appeal of the Never-Ending Story
- A Mule in EVE: Mule Psychology : EvE Style
- A Misguided Adventure: Blog Banter – Enduring Allure
- One Man and His Spaceship: Blog Banter 2 – November 2008 Edition
- Letrange’s EVE Blog: That Banter Thing
- Diary of a Space Jokey: EVE Blog Banter: How’d I get here ?!
- I May Find Peace Within The Emptiness…: EVE Blog Banter #2: New Eden Bearhug…
- The Shard: EVE Blog Banter #2